Sunday, June 13, 2010

Summertime shape up

It's been brutally humid on the East Coast, and I've been mixing up early morning workouts. The key to working out first thing in the morning is just establishing a sleep schedule and sticking to it even on the weekends. I know, sleeping in is great, but so is getting your workout out of the way.

Aside from a regular weight workout, I've been doing interval running outside. The Hudson river and the views of Manhattan make it very pleasant in the morning. So, it's been a free form run, sprinting towards stop signs and other landmarks. My whole loop takes at most 20 minutes - which I think is just about right for a busy person.

Just running can be boring, so sometimes I'll stop and hop up some stairs and jump over various urban obstacles. This livens up the terrain and forces the body to adapt to challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment